Special features include literacy activities that are both developmentally and socially appropriate to assist adults with intellectual disabilities to remain active. The team strongly believes in and focuses on inclusive education.
Latch-On incorporates a number of special features that set it apart from other literacy programs developed for people with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities:
- Small group and individual tuition.
- Access to computer technology, including literacy software, and the Internet.
- Linking of computer-based learning with traditional approaches to literacy teaching.
- Development of maintenance / extension programs.
- Linking program participants, (current and former) with other young adults through a newsletter developed by the students themselves.
- Research component investigating ongoing literacy development with a view to program improvement.